Current Students

Cal Vet Fee Waiver
This is a California Department of Veterans Affairs Program that waives the state tuition or fee or tuition fee (at HSU) at any UC, CSU or Community College for spouses and dependents of service-connected Disabled or deceased veterans and must be renewed every year. At Humboldt State University: A completed CVFW Application Form DVS-40, a copy of your birth certificate, your Veteran spouse OR parent, and a copy of your recent tax return OR IRS letter of non-filing must be sent to any Veterans Service Office (VSO) in California for processing. HSU VETS requires the Authorization Letter that you should receive after your VSO has processed your paperwork. The Cal Vet Fee Waiver only waives the "Tuition Fee" at Humboldt State University. The "Campus Fees” are not covered. Once you have submitted your authorization letter to VETS, if you have paid your Applications Admission fee, we will refund the fee to you. Write your HSU ID # at the top of your award letter before submitting it to HSU VETS.

Academic, Career and Employment
This link will take you to the most up to date resources to find careers and employment that suit you. We’ll help you match the academic program to your field of interest. There are many advisors and counselors at Humboldt State University to assist with your education goals. Faculty members in every major are also advisors for that program. Contact the Administrative Assistant to set up an advisor and find out when you can meet with them.

Benefit Advising
Eligibility for VA State and Federal benefits can seem confusing. Date of separation from the service, time served, active duty status, VA disability ratings and the school you choose to attend can all be factors in determining eligibility. We strongly recommended you contact the HSU VETS office before you apply for VA benefits.

Budget and Financial
Understanding Federal Financial Aid, Title 38 Veterans Benefits, state grants, waivers and employment off and on campus are important resources to afford your education. This link will provide the information you need to create a budget and estimate the time it will take for you to get your degree.

Outdoor Program
Transition from the military can be challenging. The HSU VETS Outdoor Program is based on the principles of Outward Bound: learning through experience, challenge & adventure, and a supportive environment. Join us for a week in the summer with new and continuing HSU student veterans.

Additional Resources

VA Publication Archive

Military Transcript Evaluation/Exams

VA Satisfactory Academic Progress Guidelines

Tutoring Services

Ch. 30 and 1606 Benefits Verification Process

Military Mobilization Information

Academic Calendar

Humboldt State University VETS Office

We are located in the HSU Lower Library, Room 3
Phone: 707-826-6272
FAX: 707-826-6275

Check out our social media channels:

Facebook      Twitter      Instagram      YouTube