Satisfactory Progress Guidelines

Academic Standing applies to all students enrolled at Humboldt State.

However, in order to make explicit a few guidelines which are in compliance with the Department of Veterans Affairs’ standards for institutions certifying veteran’s educational benefits; the university has established the following standards and guidelines for veterans and their dependents. Veterans are required to make satisfactory progress toward graduation. Veterans and eligible dependents are permitted a maximum of two semesters on probation before their benefits will be terminated due to unsatisfactory academic progress. If a veteran is placed on Academic Disqualification or Dismissal, GI Bill® benefits may be terminated. Veterans who are not making satisfactory progress are required to report mitigating circumstances to the Veterans Program Administrator within 30 days. The following is a guide for determining mitigating circumstances.

Some general categories are as follows:

  • Serious illness of the eligible veteran or dependent.
  • Serious illness or death in the eligible veteran's or dependents immediate family.
  • Immediate family or financial obligations which require a change in terms, hours, or place of employment which precludes pursuit of a course.
  • Discontinuance of a course by a school.
  • Active duty military service, including active duty for training, withdrawal from a course, or receipt of a non-punitive grade (NC, W) upon the completion of a course due to unsatisfactory work may be considered to be mitigating circumstances if the student can demonstrate good faith pursuit of the course up to the point of withdrawal or completion.

Incomplete grades are assigned when course requirements are not completed due to "unforeseen but fully justified circumstances.
A grade of SP is assigned when a course continues beyond the semester and the student is progressing satisfactorily.
In both cases, DVA allows payment for Incomplete (I), Report Delayed (RD), and Report in Progess (RP) grades, from the last day of the semester that the grade was issued for a maximum of one year.
At the end of one year a passing grade must be filed with the Office of the Registrar.